Ok…so you were inspired, produced some amazing things, and now you’ve hit that dreaded wall. It’s not only writers who suffer from the ‘block’. Hopefully, these 5 tips will help you be inspired and get your creative juices flowing.
Now, I could tell you to have a great time browsing on Pinterest. (If you really want to, start with my page!) But, I honestly don’t think that’s the best idea. You’ll get distracted, waste loads of time, and probably just end up copying someone else…which is never a good idea!
- Go for a walk. We’ve all heard that getting some fresh air is good for you, it stimulates the brain and does all sorts of wonderful things. So, give it a try (as long as it’s not absolutely pouring or freezing out), but don’t forget to take a notebook with you in case inspiration hits!
- Get some exercise. Jump on your bike, go for a run, hit the gym. Granted these are all things I would never do (lol)…but loads of friends say getting in “the zone” works wonders for their creativity.
- Have a snooze. The complete opposite of number 2, and definitely something that works for me! Whether it’s snuggling up under a duvet, or sprawling out on a lounger in the sunshine, I tend to get loads of ideas as I’m drifting off to sleep. And a short power nap does wonders to recharge my creative batteries. According to the National Sleep Foundation, “Winston Churchill, John F. Kennedy, Ronald Reagan, Napoleon, Albert Einstein, Thomas Edison and George W. Bush are known to have valued an afternoon nap.“
- Try something new. Dabbling with different materials or a new technique is often a great way to add a different twist to what you’ve been doing and could laterally inspire you to build on your existing style. This is how I ended up with my decoupage clay line of jewellery.
- Browse a few blogs. What’s in fashion and on trend at the moment? What colours are popular? This could be for clothes & accessories, or homes & gardens. And who doesn’t love sitting down with a cuppa and reading lovely blogs…like mine?
There are plenty more ideas on how to boost creativity. Share your favourites with us.